Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Winding down

Can you believe it's the middle of April already?  The school year is really winding down and the end is in sight.  Will's preschool ends the end of April - so he only has 3 days left, really.  Katie has about 8 weeks left since they go until June 10th.  I've had 3 people approach me already to ask about getting play groups set up for the summer, getting friends signed up for activities, etc.  So it prompted me to get the calendar down, look through all the community books and write down what I thought we'd commit to this summer. 

Oh, and I did ask the kids what they'd like to do too. :)

Here's a first draft of what we're looking at this summer....keep in mind, this will probably get narrowed down more......

Katie -  swimming lessons
             piano lessons
             soccer camp (4 weeks, one day a week)
             volleyball camp (4 days)
             dance camp (2 days)
             cheerleading camp (4 days)
             drama camp (5 days)
             playground camp (7 weeks, one day a week)
             play date with friends - at least one day a week
             Girl Scout camp

Will - swimming lessons
         VBS (5 days)
         Bug art (one day)
         Gym Class Camps (2-3 days)
         T-Ball (5 weeks, one day a week)
         play date with friends - at least one day a week
            
I know it seems like a lot....but I don't know, it's nice to have something every week to fill up the time.  Wanna hear the miracle of all this scheduling?  So far.....Katie and Will's activities do not overlap each other.  So I don't have to choose between the two kids. :)  Will's list is totally doable....Really it's the same as last summer....the only addition is T-ball.  Katie's is a little more....she didn't do dance camp, volleyball camp or piano lessons before.  But I like doing these little "camp" sessions because they aren't much of a time commitment and she gets a taste to see if she likes it.  The only one I'm second guessing is volleyball camp.....I picked that one....not Katie.  I always liked playing volleyball.  It was a sport that even short people got a position.....but I'm thinking that Katie won't quite be into it, so that may be the first one to go. 

Now some may say - why even do ANY activities - when I was younger I didn't get to go to any "camps", I just played outside.  I agree - I didn't really do any organized activities in the summer either - besides park softball.  There really weren't any options like this in a small town.  My reasoning is this.....right now, I have the time to take the kids to these activities.  I might not always have that freedom.  They are also priced pretty reasonably.  Believe me, there are more expensive choices out there.  For example, the drama camp I'm doing is about $100 for a week.  But I could drive 20 minutes and Katie could do a week with a real children's theater company for $250.  Dance is the same way....$40 versus $85.

Also - Katie is kind of slow to make friends.  We've heard it from every teacher and I see it when she's with a group.  Exposing her to new people, new groups, as well as doing play dates with friends give her a chance to practice friend-making skills.

Will pretty much jumps right in with who ever is willing to play with him. :)  I just want to watch him play T-ball. 
 

No comments: