Sunday, October 26, 2008

Another day, another party

Will did NOT like having his "cow head" on, but he got used to it. Katie tries to make the best of a screaming brother.

See...all better.

Today after church, the kids and I went to the annual Halloween party at My Gym in Eden Prairie. My Gym is a children's fitness center where Katie took classes til she was 3 and Will has been taking them for a few weeks now.
Will is old enough now to remember where gym class is and he gets excited as soon as we pull into the parking lot. Today they were all dressed up in their costumes. They played some games, sang some songs, and got some play dough. It was a little crazy, but it was free and darn it, I'm gonna do as many free parties as I can! Up next...the grocery store's Halloween Party on Tuesday. :)
Climbing at My Gym


This afternoon I had to go to the library to do some work on their computers. While I was there I noticed their book sale was still going on. The kids and I went to the book sale on Friday. We came away with a bag of children's book and videos for $5.

I LOVE library book sales. Honestly, if you ever get the chance to take a child to a book sale, DO IT! There was Katie thumbing through books and videos - she would come upon one that she liked and meekly would ask if she could get it. "SURE!" How great is it to say that?!! If we are in a store the answer is usually "no." But here, where the average price is $0.25, anything goes. Katie got into it after that and began to find more and more she couldn't live without. Again, it was a nice feeling to allow her to indulge.
Another reason I adore the library sales?? Old books. I absolutely get chills every time I come across an old children's book that I had when I was 3 or 4. This sale was no exception. I found the book "Gus Was A Friendly Ghost." My aunt, Carol, had this book at her house and it was one of my favorites. It was written in 1967, so it's not as if you could run out to Barnes and Noble and pick it up...they don't print it anymore. Yet there it was amongst the worn books. When we got home I pulled it out and remembered bits and pieces of the story Carol would read to me...but what jogged my memory even more were the pictures; the pictures I had stared at for hours when I was little. And now I am reading it to Katie...sometimes life is surreal.

Ok - so today I was at the library again. It was the final day of their sale which means bargain bag time! $3 bag...all the stuff you can fit into it. Today was about adult books. I found some John might read, some I will read, etc. (Mary - I even got a collection of Updike short stories....Shelley - I got my first copy of Anne of Green Gables.) Anyway - I look forward to the next sale and the next book I can collect to relive my childhood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will would have fit right in out at the farm-- aside from the Holstein markings that is-- we weaned the calves this weekend and they are quite unhappy even yet...

also, nothing like a good find at the bookshop

Jim

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

I'm surprised you didn't pick up Jane Eyre. :) Let me know what you think of the Anne-Girl ... and remember, if you ever need to borrow the VHS tapes of the Anne of Green Gables movies, I'll come over and watch them with you and Ms. K. Just warning you - I do get teary at most parts of the movie. Hell, I'm tearing up just thinking about my favorite parts.

BTW - Katie as a bumble bee? I'm thinking vintage SNL. :)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Anne of Green Gables takes me back to high school. Was supposed to read, didn't,,,,Got an F in English for that sem. I would really like to read that book now and see what i missed!!! Love Mom