Monday, October 13, 2008

A visit to the fire station

Yesterday the kids and I went to the local fire station for their annual open house. We got to ride around town in a real fire truck, Katie got to spray a hose, and have her picture taken with Sparky, the fire dog. They are talking about fire safety in school to since it is fire prevention week/month/whatever. We got a sheet to fill out showing that we had discussed it at home - and we decided to have our own "fire drill" tomorrow because it's too wet today. :) I am having flashbacks to my kindergarten/1st grade days when we discussed fire safety - about the same time of the year. After my first fire drill I came home and decided that I would not sleep upstairs anymore for fear of being caught in a fire. So for about 2 years I slept on the couch, clutching my dog. It didn't really help that my brother had promised me that in the event of a fire - he would not help me get out. Brothers can be jerks. :) So far, Katie sees our fire drill as a positive, exciting event.


John went with us to church yesterday as well because Katie sang up front for the first time. Her and her singing class (about 7 kids) sang (quietly) Oleanna and Jesus Loves Me. It was adorable and she was SO proud. In addition to the kids' music they celebrated with traditional Norwegian and Swedish music, instruments and FOOD. I got to eat some sunbackles, krumkake and of course lefse. They had rosettes too, but I thought I would make a pretty big mess with those. I hope I didn't slaughter the spelling there - the computer doesn't like norwegian food.

This is a short week for Katie - no school on Wednesday or Thursday. So we will be heading to Iowa to visit family. For right now, it's looking like we will leave on Thursday. Have a good week - stay dry! (It's raining here all day...)


I took pictures of Katie singing in church, but they didn't turn out the best. So, instead, I thought I would share a picture that seems make people smile. Katie was pouting and Will was trying to make her laugh. :)

No comments: